I know, I'm 15 days late with the whole New Year's Resolution thing, but that isn't really what I'm talking about when I say new purpose. Let me explain. Hmmm...how far back to go. I guess I'll start with explaining that we as a family are committed to following the principles laid out by Dave Ramsey. Get out of debt, pay cash, invest...etc. After a brief stint right when we first got married, we successfully knocked out the get out of debt part. Since then, we have worked hard to cash flow countless ventures (down payment on a house, home improvements, the Rodeo, the fence that is going to be put in next week...yeeeehaaawwww!!!...and who knows what else). We follow a budget that we both create each month. Its hard. There are so many things that we want but don't necessarily need. Its so easy to try and justify some of the things that we want as needs. Its pretty much a daily battle with me. Anyways, moving on...after our little Doodle Bug was born we thought we'd be smart and upgrade to a bigger vehicle. Although instinct told us that we should get a minivan because she hopefully would not be our only child, we went the "cool" route and purchased a Rodeo. We have regretted it ever since. Once #2 (Sugar Bear) came along...in Nov of 08, we've been revisiting the notion of the Mini (van that is...not Cooper). We have now decided to get serious about it and start putting money back each month to save up to pay for a new to us van. We already had a decently sized "car fund", but weren't really doing anything with it. It was in an backup bank account that was earning diddly squat in interest, so we moved it over into our main savings account and are tracking our progress on our budget spreadsheet. This brings me to my title point. The new purpose of this blog is (mostly) to share with whoever is still checking this page our trials, tribulations and successes on our journey to complete our goals. Also, by vocalizing (or blogalizing) these goals, you can help us stay accountable. :-)
So, here it goes:
Goal: to pay cash for an Toyota Sienna by Christmas of 2010.
We figure that along with the sale of our Rodeo we could be close to buying the version we want.
Steps to reach this goals:
- Make a monthly set contribution to the van fund.
- Closely manage the monthly budget (especially in the food and gas areas) so that there will be excess at the end of the month to throw in the van fund
- Regarding the food category...eat out less, up the ante on the couponing, plan meals better and provide lunches for work. Now, we don't really eat out much as a family. However, I'm bad about getting lunch sometimes for me and the kids. Its not that often and I'll still treat them occasionally, but even those dollar burgers add up. They're not that good anyways. Those of you that were around me a lot this summer know that I really got into the couponing craze. So much so that I burnt out around September. I'm back at it now, but am not trying as hard to get every deal I can find. I plan to post some of the better deals that I find online for any of you that care about that kind of stuff. Let's see...meal planning...according to just about every mommy money managing site that I visit hail the virtues of meal planning. I tried it for a little while, gave up on it and now am trying to get back into it. Lunches for Derek...its amazing how much it adds up for him to buy his lunches at their cafeteria, especially when the price keeps going up.
- Gas...I'm not by nature a homebody. I go stir crazy really easily. Translated into money...that costs a lot in gas. Especially when you drive an SUV. I am making the committment here and now to limit my during the day outings to twice a week. This does not include family outings to church and the grandparents' house for the occasional dinner. This will hopefully get easier as the weather gets warmer and DoodleBug and SugarBear can play outside in our newly fenced backyard (at least it will be by this time next week...I reiterate...yeeeehaaaw!!). They both love being outside and, well, I don't. Driving...yes. Sitting...no. Maybe I'll be able to get a little more book time in...hmmm...additional silver lining?
- Energy usage awareness. I used to be really good about making sure the lights were turned off and whatnot. Things like that and not letting the computer run all day (or the tv), leaving the heat on 72 at the highest, the air at 80...those kinds of things. I don't really know how much that will impact our bill, but its worth a shot, right? Water...yeah...I love me a long hot shower. Granted, I don't get that a lot at this point because of toilet climbing, toy throwing, washrag drawer opening and throwing them in the tub kids. Shorter showers and shallower baths for the kids = a few less dollars a month on water bills. Hmmm...cellphone...no more text messaging. Now...I'm not a texter, but I do get a few and send a few a month and at 20 cents a message...that can add up.
- Yard sales. As in having them...not going to them. I had one in the fall. Made a whopping $25 off of it. I plan to advertise a little better next time and have it at a better location. We have a ton of extra stuff that we need to get rid of. Derek will be happy to declutter.
- Look for other income earning opportunities along the way...ideas anyone?
So yeah, those are my ideas and plans so far. As I come up with others, I'll post about them. I also plan to keep a running total somewhere on this page.
The van savings is just one of our loftier goals. We also plan to eventually save for a Return to Oahu trip as well as other major family vacations (like Disney when the kids are older...right Derek?...okay, maybe that one is my goal) a replacement commuter car for Derek...the truck will only last so long...
Van Fund: 54.26% there.
We recently sold our Camry. tear
1 comment:
Go Pates! I should probably do the same blog because we hope to pay CASH for our new SUV (whatever we decide on) by October. Right now we have $500 bucks. HA! Of course up until this month we had been piling it for our 6 month expense savings, but put a check mark there and February beware! :)
Post a Comment